Just click on this Top Mommy Blogs button to vote for my blog!

Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Marvelous pigs in satin

My fears of Jill telling us "sorry" have been put to rest. She is beyond excited about the possibilities that are ahead for Georgia! Nothing too surprising came out of the testing, it was really what we expected. Georgia's auditory skills did test lower than I thought, but it is not anything that Jill thinks cannot be helped. For those of you not familiar with what the Stowell Learning center does, here is a link to the website: http://www.learningdisability.com/   I would have written a brief synopsis myself, but it would not have been brief.

This morning we woke up to a really lovely sunrise hitting the mountains outside our window. There was only a small debate about what to wear. Georgia insists on shuffling around in these ratty, electric blue Crocs that belonged to her sister about a million years ago. *shivers* I bought her some cool looking slip-on's before we left, so of course she refuses to wear them. I relented, deciding to fight other battles instead, so we headed in to the center at 9, and got started with the Samonas listening therapy right away. Samonas is a similar program to ILS, but works at a bit higher frequency for longer periods of time. Another young lady came in while we were there, a Chino 10th grader who has nearly the same profile as Georgia. They took their break together, played some games, and seemed to hit it off right away. It's always good for Geo to have a peer to connect with! Jill told me that this gal comes to the center for 6 hours a day, 4 days a week. I can't remember how long she's been working at it, but she is now at a point where she is beyond needing her special ed classes, but not *quite* ready for regular classroom yet. You have no idea how tremendously exciting it is to hear that, and to be able to imagine it for Georgia. She worked SO HARD this morning, and at one point Jill came to tell me "I wish I could keep her! I WANT to keep her!" I was surprised when Georgia rounded a corner, saw me at a workspace, and said "I need a hug!" Has she ever said that?? EVER??!!

We're on a lunch break right now, back at the hotel after hunting down Trader Joe's to pick up something "fun" for lunch. Cheap sushi is my idea of fun lunch, ready-made meatloaf is Georgia's. (I didn't tell her it's turkey!) And I found a nice bottle of screw cap pinot grigio. Not "Two Buck Chuck" but pretty darn close! I wanted to tell the check-out lady "Don't worry, I won't be crackin' it open til later!" but I'm not sure she'd have believed me - I discovered once we were back in the car that a strategic button on my blouse had popped open. I wondered why she kept giving me an odd look. I thought maybe I'd accidentally said "Y'all".

There's another session at the center from 2-4, and Georgia has to do 15 minutes of listening before we head back, so I'll sign off with my favorite line from the Glowworm in James and the Giant Peach: "Did he say 'Marvelous pigs in satin?'" If you know me, you will understand. ;D
Peace


4 comments:

  1. I think "Marvelous Pigs in Satin" would be the title of the book, which this blog will become, of course!

    ReplyDelete