Just click on this Top Mommy Blogs button to vote for my blog!

Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Grocery shopping and the California Institution for Men

 We managed to survive the first leg of our journey as Clampett Airways bounced us away from swanky Gulfport/Biloxi International Airport. The flight was delayed by almost an hour, which could have set Georgia off on the wrong foot, but she held up well during the wait. We bought cookies. Comfort food is always the best course of action in situations like that. When we finally boarded, with Jethro and Jed at the helm, and Granny primed to serve up some vittles, the excitement was palpable. Until Granny came on the voice-magnifier thingy and informed us of a "very drab situation": we were out of toilet paper, and there weren't none to be had in these here parts, so she was strategically placing a box of kleenex next to the outhouse, for those in dire need. Really? I mean couldn't Elly May have dashed off  the plane and STOLEN a roll from the International Airport bathroom or something? I chuckled, knowing that we had already put to practice my mother's adage: "Go before you Go!" Nevertheless we took to the skies paperless, which turned out to be fine because shortly after we were due to be served our complementary carbonated beverage Jethro picked up the bullhorn and told Granny to shelve her grub cart due to "mild to moderate turbulence" up ahead. I think they must have forgotten to load up the drinks, cause we never did hit any turbulence to speak of. And trust me, I am one who would speak of ANY turbulence. Georgia sat looking out of the window most of the trip, with a mesmerizing menagerie of lights below. She turned to me and said, as we approached Dallas, "Mommy, the lights are like constellations in the sky!"
Our flight got in to Dallas (another bustling International Airport) just in time for us to make it to the next flight. No time to grab supper. Ugh. But by-God we got our carbonated beverage this time! We didn't encounter any trouble getting our rental car once in Chino. I was super excited when she told me to just walk out to the lot and "choose one". WOW! REALLY? By the time we got out there, we were able to snag the one remaining midsize to be had. Hotel check-in was smooth, but we went out to scrounge up some eats and came up empty-handed. Georgia ate goldfish and Oreo cookies at midnight, then crashed. She got up this morning and exclaimed "I feel GREAT! I had such a good sleep!" Phew!
I ventured out this morning, after leaving Geo at the learning center, and found a Vons grocery store so I could lay in a supply of real food. The folks there were so friendly and at one point, while I was searching for the smallest margarine tub I could find, a nice stock-lady asked if I needed help. I told her "Well, I'm looking for the smallest margarine tub I can find. I'm just here for 2 weeks with my daughter." As I walked away with my tiny tub, she offered "Have a good stay!" but said it in such a way that it occurred to me she might think we were here visiting my husband in the State Pen. Chino is home not only to the Institution for Men, but the one for Women as well. We seem to be hemmed in not just by mountains, but by concrete block and barbed wire.
It's now lunch time, Georgia has completed a morning full of testing. We'll go back to the center at 2:30 so that Jill can give me her assessment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she still feels Georgia can be helped. It's a bit nerve-wracking, thinking "we came all this way....what if she just throws up her hands and says 'yep. she's a mystery all right. nothing I can do.'"
I'll check back in and let you know.

1 comment:

  1. For 2 weeks I don't have to translate the time to PST - 2:30 is really 2:30 and I'll check back for the update!

    ReplyDelete